Monday, May 2, 2011

Brain Cancer Awareness!

Today marks the beginning of Brain Cancer Awareness Week. 
This disease strikes so near and dear to my heart, in so many ways. 
My Papa passed from it, and one of my good friends has been fighting it for almost 2 years. 
Last year we formed a team for the Seattle Brain Cancer walk, which takes place at Seattle Center. It was so momentous for me. My heart swelled so much, I cried seeing all of those survivors. 
Knowing what their families, friends and loved ones are going through, I decided then and there that I will be volunteering for the walk every year! Well at least I am in the process of...
The Seattle Brain Cancer Walk does not require a huge deposit or a minimum number of donations. It is quit simple: 
Form a team, or join a team. 
Register with that team. The fee is so small, and ALL proceeds go to funding for research!
And of course, just try to collect donations along the way...if not, no biggy! The support from being involved, and the registration fee, are donation enough {in my book}! 
From witnessing what I have, Support Systems are everything. 
If you are interested in learning more about the walk, please check out the site HERE! 
Here are some photos from last years walk - it was AMAZING! 
  
My friend and her husband leading our Team 



Me with a picture of my Papa at the Tent of Honor
Me, my aunt, my cousin and my Mom - wearing Papa's hat! 

PLEASE DO WHATEVER YOU CAN - NO MATTER HOW SMALL - FOR THIS CAUSE. 
THANK YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, you pictures got me all choked up! You are right this effect people everyday, chances are someone you know is dealing with it or has a family member dealing with it. I think many times that if we are not directly affected by something we forget about it. I would love to come over and do the walk! Do I just need to register? Know any where I could stay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather SweetMay 02, 2011

    Your are so right...having a great support system DOES mean everything and I am very thankful to have you on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for getting out there. What a great way to honor your friend and Papa!

    ReplyDelete