Friday, January 27, 2012

Professional Criticism

While most aspiring photographers look at other artists' work at find inspiration, I tend to look at it and think that I will never get there. 
I too, find inspiration in my favorite artists. 
However, I envy them more than I should. 

This is something that I feel I will always struggle with. And it is something that I am not proud of, and need to conquer. 
All I can hope is that this will happen sooner than later.

I am sure that this stems from the fact that I have ALWAYS held exceptionally high standards for myself. And when I do not reach them, well...this happens! 
I start to think that I am not good enough. That perhaps I have chosen the wrong path. While I know that none of this is true, it does not change the fact that I am unable to purchase the correct equipment, or have the time necessary to learn how to use PS properly, and my list goes on...

But then I think to myself: "Excuses, excuses"! I am not a quitter, and I do not give up easily! Therefore, I move forward! And I learn! Those who know me well, know the patience is NOT my greatest virtue! So I must remind myself DAILY, that this takes time. And that there a million other photographers and artists out there that have been around for a very long time. And that they have so much more experience and practice than I. 

But then I have to remind myself of my accomplishments within the last year:: Jumping head first into a very competitive market, making treads where I did not think I could, being bold and brave for putting it all out there, scoring the awesome gig of being photographer for the Pride Parade this June, and becoming Group Leader for the Seattle CTE Photography Meetup Group, and being proud of the work that I have accomplished!

These things I must remind myself of. And I will!
Because after all, you never know where you might end up!

3 comments:

  1. It's always important to look at your accomplishments, the big ones and the little ones!! And you're so right, it's easy to find inspiration from other photographers, but also be envious. It's hard to keep from comparing. But I guess that is somewhat what helps us strive to do better?? Its kinda of a double edged sword. At least for me! Keep it up Lindsi!! You have the drive and ambition to accomplish anything you put your mind to. It takes time, but the rewards will be so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing just fine. Take your time, enjoy it, and the rest will come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! It's hard to face the climb, but don't forget to look back and see how far you've come. Find your own path and views too, the common one is over used and maintained by tax payers ;) I crack myself up...

    ReplyDelete