Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book Review - "The Storyteller"

It's no surprise that I love to read.
 Magazines and blogs, but mostly books. 
I not only love the escape, but I need it! 
Something about being transported into someone else's story, into their world, into their life...is alluring. And before I know it, I am so submerged that I cannot get out until the last page has been read. 

There are certain stories, certain books, and certain authors with which I become more enthralled than others. Most recently, would be a novel by my favorite author, Jodi Picoult. The name of the book: The Storyteller.



I did not fully realize what it was about until I was already invested in the story. And by that point, I couldn't turn back! This is a story about morality, forgiveness, justice, religious beliefs and family history. It is about Nazi Germany and the Holocaust. It is about survivors and victims, soldiers and prisoners. It is about a story within the story, that completely parallels to the one being told.

Reading this novel, I learned a lot about that time that I am embarrassed to admit that I did not know. I did not realize how ignorant I was (am) to the subject. To that part of our world's history. I knew that what those poor people went through was horrific, but I honestly did not know to what extent those horrors reached.

This is one of the most emotionally charged, powerful, and exhausting books that I have read in a very long time. In other words, it truly moved me.
And it educated me.
It made me think...about morality and the true meaning of forgiveness.

I highly suggest you read this novel.
Especially if you are looking for something that you can dive into emotionally.

Jodi Picoult truly is an amazing author, and does research behind every topic she writes. That is how you know it's gonna be good! The fact that there is some truth to what she writes. Truth behind the fiction. Or more like: she writes the fiction around the truth...does that make sense?!

Overall, this book will intrigue you.
If not for the story, then for the history.

What books have you read recently that you couldn't put down?!


1 comment:

  1. Two most recently: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Passage by Justin Cronin. The Passage is long but I am sucked in! Start with Gone Girl. SO good.

    ReplyDelete